Roll on this table if your PCs find potions that have been sitting around for a while, and are possibly past their expiration date.
1. Expired – Smells very smoky, like an old scotch. Drinker’s clothing bursts into flame, Save vs Poison or 4d6 damage, 2d6 if Saved
2. Expired – Smells like wet iron after a rain. Drinker engulfed in Ball Lightning, Save vs Poison or 2d6 damage, d6 if Saved
3. Expired – Smells like the forest. Drinker chokes and gags, vomits up mouthful of earthworms. 1d8 damage
4. Expired – Potion has become very thick and syrupy, smells and tastes of cinnamon, drinker chokes and gags, vomits up banana-sized Larva. 1d6 damage
5. Expired – Smells like Rosemary and Lemon. Drinker chokes & bleeds from nose, can’t breathe for one minute, 1d6 damage
6. Expired – Smells like lavender, slightly gritty feel. Drinker falls into a magical Sleep for 3d4 hours (Dispel Magic to awaken sooner)
7. Expired – Tastes and smells like bitter Dandelion greens. Save vs Poison or potion has opposite effect, no effect if Saved
8. Expired – Potion tastes very spicy and hot, drinker’s gums begin to bleed profusely, -1 HP/hour for 2d8 hours
9. Expired – No apparent effect, but Tinnitus develops over next few minutes, lasts 24 hours. -4 to Hearing Perception
10. Expired – Potions tastes of almonds, causes extreme dizziness, -6 to DEX for 3d8 hours
11. Turning – Potion tastes of anise (black licorice), works at 75% effectiveness
12. Turning – Potion smells like smoke from a campfire. Edges of drinker’s clothing begins to smolder & smoke, Save vs Poison for 75% effectiveness, failure means potion has no effect. Smoldering lasts 1d6 turns or until doused with water.
13. Turning – Potion smells and tastes like really bitter Lime juice. Drinker’s body engulfed in crackling green sparks of electricity, Save vs Poison for 75% effectiveness, failure means potion has no effect. Sparks last for 1d6 turns or until doused with sand. Dousing with water causes 1d6 damage.
14. Turning – Potion is frothy and foamy (like beer), tastes very bitter and floral. Drinker chokes and gags, Save vs Poison for 75% effectiveness, failure means potion has no effect
15. Turning – Potion is a dark red color (like blood), smells like fresh-cut grass, drinker coughs and sputters, mucus flows freely from nose, then ears as well for 1d6 rounds. Save vs Poison for 75% effectiveness, failure means potion has no effect
16. Turning – Potion appears to have separated into two layers. Shaking vigorously to emulsify ensures potion works normally. Drinking separated potion tastes initially like fish oil, then like sour vinegar. Causes explosive belching for 1d6 turns.
17. Turning – Potion tastes very spicy and hot, works normally after three turns
18. Turning – Potion tastes of anise (black licorice), works normally after two turns
19. Turning – Potion has become very thick and syrupy, tastes of cinnamon, takes 5 minutes to consume. Potion works with 50% efficiency
20. Turning – Potion has crystallized to a salt-like, granular consistency. It can be re-constituted in at least one cup of liquid that is at least 10% alcohol, potion works normally. Water will not dissolve the crystals. Drinking the undissolved crystals causes 1d6 damage, potion has no effect
21. Preserved – Potion has become very thick and syrupy, tastes of flowers. Takes 5 minutes to consume, potion works normally
22. Preserved – Potion is a dark red color (like blood), smells like wet copper, works normally
23. Preserved – Potion is frothy and foamy (like beer), smells of tar, works normally
24. Preserved – Potion appears to catch fire and burn with a greenish-blue flame when exposed to air, works normally
25. Preserved – Potion appears to crackle with electricity when exposed to air, works normally
26. Preserved – Potion begins to smoke, smells of Sulphur when exposed to air, works normally
27. Preserved – When unstoppered, the potion bottle gets icy cold and is covered with frost. Liquid is very cold and takes a full five minutes to consume (faster causes 1d4 Damage per “gulp”, there are three gulps in the bottle). Potion works normally
28. Preserved – Potion is very dark black, smells like low tide, drinking stains mouth, teeth and tongue a dark purple color for 3d10 hours. Potion works normally
29. Preserved – Potion appears to have been reduced, filling only ½ of the bottle. Liquid shimmers as if with glitter, smells like moist earth. Potion works normally.
30. Preserved – Drinker coughs and sputters, cannot stop coughing for 3d6 turns. Potion works normally